The ideal candidate should have strong math, accounting and reporting skills with an attention for details and accuracy.
Leverage the advanced accounting skills you’ve gained in your professional career in a dynamic role with Velocity Mortgage Capital in Westlake Village, CA.
Velocity is a well-capitalized mortgage investment company that originates, acquires, and securitizes commercial mortgages. We are seeking a regular, full-time Staff Accountant to join our growing company, and help us in building our dynamic accounting department.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary responsibility is to assist with the preparation of financial statements and support schedules in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintains financial records for subsidiary companies by analyzing balance sheets and general ledger accounts.
- Perform variance analysis on balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Provides financial status information by preparing special reports; completing special projects.
- Assist with the monthly close procedures.
- Prepare account reconciliations (assets, liabilities and accruals) and supporting sub-ledgers; research and resolve account reconciling items.
- Records month-end adjusting journal entries.
- Assist with preparation of audit support schedules for external auditors.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Support other team members as necessary.
- Secures financial information by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
Qualified Candidates Should Have
- 4-year accounting or business related degree required. CPA is a plus.
- Must be highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives.
- Proficiency with email and Microsoft Office applications; especially Excel.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance creativity, problem solving, and results.
- General knowledge of math and accounting.
- Report generation and ability to analyze numbers.
- Attention to detail.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks.
- Focus on quality.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Knowledge of computers and familiarity with accounting software is also essential.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours.
This position is subject to possible overtime.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.